A person and a pet were taken to the hospital for treatment for carbon monoxide exposure in a home Monday night.
Scottsdale Fire working a hazardous situation in the area of Jackrabbit and 79th Pl. pic.twitter.com/B8GPvKH2SS
— ScottsdaleFD (@ScottsdaleFire) April 19, 2016
Firefighters said a 27-year-old woman and a dog were unconscious when they arrived at the home near Jackrabbit and Hayden roads.
A man inside was also being evaluated for CO exposure and taken with the woman to the hospital, according to firefighters. The dog was taken to a 24-hour emergency veterinarian.
Members of the department's hazardous materials crew remained on the scene to monitor the home's carbon monoxide levels and were working on a plan to ventilate the structure.
Investigators say a vehicle left running in the garage was responsible for the elevated levels of CO.
Carbon monoxide is an asphyxiant that replaces oxygen in the blood stream and can lead to severe tissue damage or death if untreated, according to the Mayo Clinic.