SCOTTSDALE, AZ — As many as 20 homes in a neighborhood in northeast Scottsdale were evacuated because of a reported underground gas leak Thursday.
A spokesperson for the Scottsdale Fire Department said that multiple hazardous materials teams, more than 200 firefighters, and Southwest Gas representatives were in the area of McDowell Mountain Ranch Road and Paradise Lane to investigate the leak, which was upgraded to a third-alarm hazmat incident Thursday afternoon.
Fire Captain Dave Folio told reporters that residents began reporting an odor around 2:30 p.m.
Folio originally said the residents of at least 20 homes had voluntarily evacuated and that more than 300 homes were without electricity and gas.
As of Friday all evacuations have been lifted.
No injuries have been reported.
Roads are closed at Thompson Peak Parkway/107th Way and Paradise Ln/Betony Dr for a gas leak. Please stay out of the area as Scottsdale Fire is working to make the area safe.— ScottsdalePD (@ScottsdalePD) September 9, 2021
No additional details were immediately released.
Watch live video from Air15:
Last month, four people inside a strip mall in Chandler were seriously injured after a gas leak led to an explosion. Citing its preliminary investigation, Southwest Gas said the type of natural gas pipe that leaked -- known as Driscopipe 8000 -- can prematurely degrade, especially under Arizona's hot weather conditions.
Below is dash-cam video of the Aug. 26 explosion in Chandler that was shared with ABC15.