Malfunction leads to smell of smoke, evacuation of Scottsdale Fit Republic

Posted at 2:25 PM, Jul 09, 2016
and last updated 2016-07-09 22:17:41-04

Authorities say a malfunctioning air conditioning unit led to the evacuation of a downtown Scottsdale gym on Saturday.

Firefighters say 50 people were evacuated from the Fit Republic near Camelback and Scottsdale roads. Crews said people reported a burning odor and haze inside the building.

Those evacuated were moved to a different area with air conditioning while investigators pinpointed the source, which was later identified as an A/C unit on the roof.

There was no word on the number or extent of injuries, if any.