NewsNortheast Valley NewsScottsdale News


Fingerprints led to arrest of suspect in Scottsdale kidnapping

Fingerprints led to arrest of Valley kidnapper
Posted at 10:06 AM, Nov 15, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-16 00:25:46-05

Investigators say fingerprints helped lead them to Ian Michael Nielsen, the man accused of kidnapping an elderly Scottsdale woman on November 7

According to Scottsdale police, Nielsen, 25, forced his way into the home of a 94-year-old woman near 68th Street and Camelback Road.

After Nielsen allegedly knocked the woman to the ground, he demanded that she hand over any cash inside the house.

Police say Nielsen then forced the woman out of her home and directed her to her car where he then bound her with duct tape and zip ties and made her get into the trunk of the vehicle.

Nielsen reportedly drove the vehicle for an unknown amount of time before parking the car at Scottsdale Fashion Square, abandoning the woman in the trunk as she was unable to escape. 

The woman told police about an hour passed before she was able to free herself from the trunk and contacted several witnesses who helped her and called police. 

She was taken to the hospital as she suffered a broken sternum in the incident.

On November 13, investigators discovered that a latent fingerprint was found on the inside cardboard center tube of the duct tape roll that officers discovered from the victim's trunk. 

Police processed the print and found that it belonged to Nielsen, who had his print placed in a database during his application process for a Department of Public Safety security guard license.

The next day, investigators found another fingerprint on the outside of the victim's trunk. 

Further processing determined that print was a match for Nielsen as well.

Later that morning, officers located Nielsen exiting a hotel room near 27th Avenue and Camelback Road in Phoenix.

Officers caught up with Nielsen in Tempe and placed him under arrest. 

He has been charged with attempted second-degree murder, kidnapping, robbery, and aggravated assault.

A judge set his secured bond at $1 million.