NewsNortheast Valley NewsScottsdale News


DPS: Suspect in custody after pursuit ends in Scottsdale

Posted at 5:46 AM, May 13, 2018
and last updated 2018-05-14 17:46:11-04

Officials have identified a driver who led authorities on a pursuit through multiple Valley cities early Sunday before being stopped in Scottsdale.

Police received reports of a possible drunk driver around 3 a.m. in the area of McKellips and Scottsdale roads after a person spotted the car driving with a blown out tire, a police spokesperson said. Officers attempted to stop the car but the driver continued at "normal speeds."

DPS located the suspect and continued pursuing the vehicle throughout the Valley, police said. The pursuit went into Mesa, back through Tempe, up to Peoria and through Glendale before ending in Scottsdale.

DPS spokesman Kameron Lee said troopers took over the pursuit on Loop 202 at Dobson and pursued the suspect until spikes were deployed on Loop 101 and the driver spun out near Shea.

DPS troopers chased the suspect briefly on-foot before the driver was taken into custody around 5 a.m.

Lee said 43-year-old Jonas Madau was booked on charges of felony flight, aggravated assault, endangerment, DUI, reckless driving, criminal damage, and resisting arrest.

According to Tempe police, troopers pursued the car for nearly an hour and a half for about 70 miles. During the incident, speeds reached up to 90 miles per hour.

Last month, officers pursued a car with aerial units after learning that the driver was wanted for felony warrants. 

According to a police spokesperson, the driver, later identified as 27-year-old Jairo Adair Contreras Quinter, allegedly stole two cars during the pursuit before a tire blew out in the area of 27th Avenue and Bethany Home Road and he fled on-foot.

Quinter was later found hiding in the attic of a home in the neighborhood, officials said. K-9 Bane was released and the suspect was taken into custody.

Bane suffered serious injuries at some point during the incident and did not survive. It’s still unknown what led up to the dog’s death.