NewsNational News


Affidavit: Teenage aunt allegedly killed Colorado 7-year-old after he asked her to play video games

Suspect said she 'plugged his nose'
Posted at 7:28 PM, Aug 13, 2018

DENVER — A 16-year-old girl killed her 7-year-old nephew after the boy threw a fit when the girl refused to play video games with him, according to court documents.

Seven-year-old Jordan Vong went missing on Aug. 6. His body was found a day later when FBI agents and police obtained a warrant to enter his family’s Montbello home a day later.

According to a probable cause statement, the 16-year-old girl accused of killing her nephew told police she pushed Jordan off her bed after he refused to move and amid a crying fit. She then “placed her hand over Jordan's mouth and plugged his nose as Jordan began to struggle for a few minutes."

The girl, whom authorities have not yet identified, was arrested last Wednesday after Vong’s body was discovered inside his family’s home Aug. 7, the day after he was killed. On Monday, she was chargedwith first-degree murder and felony child abuse charges.

According to the document, the teenage suspect told police that on Aug. 6, Vong went down to her basement bedroom and asked her to play video games with him. When she refused, the boy became upset and laid down on her bed, the document read. She said this made her angry, which caused her to push the boy off her bed “causing him to strike his face on the floor,” the statement read. 

The document said after Jordan stopped moving, the girl told police she put the body underneath her bed before removing it, wrapping it in a blanket and placing it in a portable closet in her room.

She told investigators that she did not say a word to family members about what she allegedly did or where the body was hidden. Vong’s body was found by authorities in the portable closet Tuesday evening amid the execution of a search warrant.

According to the probable cause statement, Vong’s body was found with a “towel and comforter around his head, biological matter and blood about his nose, and an unknown imprint on Vong’s chest.”

 He was first reported missing around 4:30 p.m. Monday.

Police said the victim’s mother called 911 and reported her son missing. She told police she last saw Vong in the living room of their residence using his tablet computer.

The Denver Office of the Medical Examiner said Monday it had determined Vong’s manner of death was homicide, but that his cause of death was “still pending.”