NewsNational News


8 die in New Year's Eve carbon monoxide poisoning in Bosnia

carbon monoxide poisoning
Posted at 10:03 AM, Jan 01, 2021
and last updated 2021-01-01 12:03:39-05

Bosnian police say eight young men and women have died in a cottage in southwest Bosnia, apparently from carbon monoxide poisoning during a New Year's Eve celebration.

Local police spokeswoman Martina Medic told The Associated Press that police responded to a call around 10 a.m. and went to a house in Tribistovo where several people were found dead.

The village is 150 kilometers southwest of Sarajevo, the capital.

Regional police Commissioner Milan Galic later told N1 broadcaster that the victims were local residents, four men and four women, aged 18-20.

Local media said the gas leaked from a generator used for heating.