NewsNational News

Actions

2,000 volunteers requested for evidence search in Jayme Closs case

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-KNXV.png
Posted at 9:45 AM, Oct 22, 2018
and last updated 2018-10-22 12:45:14-04

A Wisconsin sheriff's office is requesting the public’s assistance on Tuesday for another search for evidence in the Jayme Closs case

"We are requesting the public’s assistance on Tuesday, October 23, 2018, in conducting an expanded routine search for articles of evidentiary value that may be related to the incident," the Barron County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

This is the second call for volunteers helping them search. A search last week did not turn up anything useful on the missing 13-year-old. 

Once 2,000 able-bodied volunteers have stepped up, sheriff's deputies will need to turn additional people away, officials said.

Authorities have been searching for Jayme since early last Monday, when a mysterious 911 call led deputies to discover that her parents -- James Closs, 56, and Denise Closs, 46 -- had been shot dead at the family's home in northwestern Wisconsin's Barron County. Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Wednesday that no gun was found at the scene.

Investigators say Jayme apparently vanished just after the shootings and is in danger. An Amber Alert was issued for her last Monday, and the FBI has added her to its online list of kidnapped or missing people.