Traveling with your pets has become standard in recent years. Because of the recent trend, more restaurants, hotels and destinations are making themselves pet-friendly.
Whether traveling on land or in the sky, there are exceptional offers to keep you and your pets happy:
- Groom service. The lodging industry has made the biggest strides when it comes to pleasing pet patrons. In fact, Traveling with Your Pet: The AAA PetBook® lists more than 14,000 pet-friendly hotels, campgrounds and attractions. There are several pet-friendly AAA Diamond-rated properties across Arizona that have special offerings for furry friends, such as Hotel Valley Ho and Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, in Scottsdale and The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain in Marana.
- Flying with Fido. Most airlines permit passengers to keep pets with them in the cabin or have them kept in the cargo hold depending on size and weather restrictions.
- Buckle up your pup. Traveling by car is one of the best ways to get you and your pup to your destination, but make sure to do it safely. Use a crate or pet restraint system to keep your dog from roaming the car and distracting you from driving.
- Safety before sailing. Jesse, a 10-year-old Jack Russel Terrier from Litchfield Park, the second-place winner for the 18th edition of The AAA PetBook, loves to travel with his human, Heather. Jesse and Heather spend their summers at Lake Pleasant by playing in the water, but she makes sure Jesse has a life vest on at all times.
To ensure a “purrrfect” trip, AAA travel experts recommend pet parents follow these tips:
- Proper paperwork. Research what documentation will be required for pet travel. If traveling internationally, pets may be required to have a pet passport.
- A healthy pet is a happy pet. Visit the vet prior to leaving to ensure pets are current on vaccinations with a clean bill of health.
- Respect other travelers. Keep in mind that everyone may not be comfortable around pets. Always keep pets on a leash or in their carrier in public places.
Travelers who want to bring the family pet on vacation can find valuable information to make the trip safe and easy in Traveling with Your Pet: The AAA PetBook®
AAA is a go-to source for travel information. To learn more, visit AAA.com/travel.