Problem with your utility provider? Local, fed mediators help with utility complaint

Posted at 9:21 PM, Jun 10, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-11 00:35:21-04

There aren't a whole lot of choices when it comes to utilities.

Once you move into your home, your fate is sealed.

But that doesn't mean you have to take poor service lying down.

Viewer Denise in Laveen let me know that she terminated her satellite TV last year.

She was supposed to get a refund of $71.38. But it never came.

And every time she calls she has to "start out at ground zero all over again."

Viewer Mark let me know that he had to change his cell phone plan because of the new billing policy. He says he was "very review the new plan to make sure there weren't any surprises." Didn't matter.  Mark says the next month his bill nearly doubled.

He's confused. He's angry. And says he can't get anyone to fix it.

Most of us know the Arizona Corporation Commission regulates utilities like, gas, water, electricity and telephones.

That means they have complaint process and will mediate with the utility on your behalf.

But did you know that the city where you live handles your cable provider?

The City of Phoenixfor example acts as a liaison between you and the companies to resolve complaints.

You can also let them know whether you want the city to renew a providers license.

Complaints against cell phone and internet companies are handled on the federal level.

The FCC serves your complaint. The business is required to respond within 30 days of receipt. 

But your first step should be to complain to the company in writing. Send it certified and keep a copy as proof you did let them know.

Call the Assistance League of Phoenix volunteers at 1-855-323-1515. You can also send me an email or a video email where you attach a video explaining the problem.

And you can reach me on Twitter or "like" the Let Joe Know Facebook  and tell me about it there.