PHOENIX- You know when someone asks you a simple question like, “What do you do in your free time?“ but you freeze up and suddenly can’t remember anything you do apart from go to work and sleep. That’s how I feel about compiling my “five favorite things to do in Arizona“. So, after thinking long and hard (for a good 15 minutes) and after scrolling through my phone’s camera roll to jog my memory, here’s my list of five activities for a perfect day spent in Arizona:
1. Start your day off right with a jolt of caffeine from Dark Hall Coffee. They’re only open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. so plan accordingly. My go to order is a medium iced latte with oat milk. Everything in the shop is vegan plus they make their own nut milk. It’s a dream.
2. Now that you’re caffeinated, it’s time to break a sweat. I know you’re already sweating from scorching temperatures, but Arizona is a hub for boutique fitness classes so you best take advantage of it. If you prefer a low impact workout, head over to Reformed Pilates. They have multiple locations and even though the class is low impact, it’s crazy effective. If you’d rather jam out to music surrounded by flashing lights, head to The Madison for a spin class that will leave you with more endorphins than you know what to do with.
3. Getting hungry? Scoot over to Mekong Palace in Mesa for dim sum. This Asian market has some of the best dim sum in Arizona. Make sure to save some room to stop at the bakery in the same shopping complex. AA Ozzy Bakery makes these little Taiwanese custard filled pancakes that are to die for. I could eat at least four in one sitting.
4. When scrolling through my phone, I realized I spend most of my time eating. So, I’m adding another restaurant, Shabu Fondue in Phoenix. I’m at Shabu for Chinese hot pot so often, the wait staff knows me by name.
5. Last but not least, the best way to end a day in Arizona is at a Phoenix Rising game. The atmosphere is unmatched especially if you’re lucky enough to be in town for the team’s infamous “$1 beer nights“. Whether you like soccer or not, you’re guaranteed to have a great time.