SCOTTSDALE, AZ — First Ocean 44 opened. Then Tocaya Organica.
Next up: Toca Madera.
The dining scene surrounding Scottsdale Fashion Square's revamped luxury wing is beginning to take shape. Toca Madera, a high-end, high-energy Mexican restaurant based in West Hollywood, California, announced Wednesday that its restaurant in Scottsdale would open on Tuesday, Oct. 22.
The 8,000-square-foot restaurant is located outside the mall's entrance near Dillard's and adjacent to Ocean 44, a high-end seafood restaurant from the owners of Steak 44 and Dominick's Steakhouse. It will have a separate bar and lounge, a dining room, an outdoor patio, and music.
"At our Scottsdale location, we want guests to feel as though they’re stepping into another reality,” said Tosh Berman, CEO of The Madera Group, in a written statement. “From the sophisticated design to the theatrical spirit through which we serve food and beverage, every element has been precisely chosen to provide an unparalleled dining experience."
For the first few weeks, Toca Madera will be open Tuesday - Sunday for dinner service only, which starts at 5 p.m. and runs until 1 a.m or 2 a.m., depending on the day. Beginning on Nov. 9, the restaurant will serve brunch on the weekends from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m, according to a news release.
WHAT'S ON THE MENU?
Toca Madera describes its menu as a modern approach to traditional Mexican cuisine "pairing locally-sourced ingredients with bold flavors." The menu is divided into sections that include small plates, a raw bar, tacos, sides, and "Rocks," premium protein dishes that are served on hot lava stones.
Here is a look at some of the small plates on the menu:
- Guacamole: organic avocado, pomegranate seeds, lime pepitas, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro w/ warm plantain chips
- Pozole Verde: tomatillo based, white hominy, cilantro chicken, cabbage
- Empanadas Oaxaca: organic free-range chicken, onion, jalapeño cabbage, queso fresco, pickled onion, chipotle crema
Here is a look at a few of the entrees:
- Mole De Olla: slow baked shredded organic chicken breast in oaxacan mole negro w/ pickled onion, roasted sesame seed, micro cilantro house-made blue corn tortillas
- Pan-seared salmon: alaskan salmon, sautéed kale, habanero mango salsa, cilantro rice
- Scallops En Pipian Verde: 4 pan seared u10 scallops, garlic roasted pepita seeds, crusted pepper, yellow tomato sauce
The raw bar features three kinds of ceviche and sashimi (pictured above).
From the bar, people can expect a variety of tequilas, mezcals, and agave cocktails, according to an online menu.
WHAT'S NEXT TO OPEN AT SCOTTSDALE FASHION SQUARE?
Tocaya Organica, a health-conscious Mexican concept, opened in May outside the mall's luxury wing. It offers a mix of salads, bowls, tacos, burritos, and soups. It is owned by The Madera Group, which also owns Toca Madera.
Last fall, the mall announced a trio of restaurants that were expected to join its luxury wing: Nobu, the famed high-end Japanese restaurant; Zinque, a California-based French restaurant concept; and The Farmhouse, a California-based farm-to-table concept that focuses on seasonal ingredients.
All remain under construction.
According to a mall spokesperson, Zinque is expected to open in November; Nobu is expected to open sometime in 2020; and The Farmhouse is expected to open in summer 2020.