TEMPE, AZ — The show will go on. The question is, when?
It appears that Broadway is feeling a little more confident in resuming the national tours of its musical productions as ASU Gammage has released the rescheduled lineup of its upcoming season.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Broadway shows in New York City have been suspended since March 2020 -- and are currently suspended through May 30.
As a result, nearly every Broadway production that was scheduled to visit Tempe during the summer, fall, and winter was canceled, postponed, or rescheduled.
Here is the current schedule from ASU Gammage:
- Rodgers & Hammerstein's "OKLAHOMA!," August 17–22, 2021
- "Hamilton," September 8–October 3, 2021
- "Mean Girls," October 19–24, 2021
- "My Fair Lady," December 7–12, 2021
- "The Band's Visit," February 8–13, 2022
- "Tootsie," March 15–20, 2022
- "Hadestown," April 19–24, 2022
- "Come From Away," June 14–19, 2022
- Disney’s "The Lion King," Summer 2022 (season option)
Missing from the schedule is Disney's "Frozen," "To Kill A Mockingbird," and "Jersey Boys," which were unable to be rescheduled, ASU Gammage said in an email to its season subscribers.
"Despite this further delay to the start of the season, we are so excited to welcome you back this August for this incredible roster of shows," the theater said.
For subscribers, tickets and seats will automatically transfer to the new shows and dates, the email said. Credits or refunds are also available for those who purchased extra tickets to shows or tickets to Jersey Boys.
When shows do start again, safety measures include requiring masks, employees will undergo health checks, ticket scanners with be sanitized, and high-touch points will be regularly cleaned, according to ASU Gammage's website.