Tuna Tartare- Use to top your favorite variety of Avocado Toast
· ½ tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
· 1 ½ oz juice from pickled ginger
· 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
· 1 Tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
· 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
· 3/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
· 1 Tablespoon olive oil
· 8 ounces diced high grade Ahi Tuna
· 10 finely chopped chives
· Sesame seeds
· Salt & pepper to taste
· Whisk first 7 ingredients in a bowl
· Season to taste
· Garnish with chives and sesame seeds
Pupusa for Stews, Chili or sandwiches
2 cups instant masa flour
1cup warm water
½ cup shredded white cheddar
¼ cup dices fresh herbs like cilantro and chives
Mix together the Masa Harina and water
Knead for a few minutes add 1 TBSP of additional water if feels dry
Masa should not crack when you press it
Add cheese and herbs
Let rest for 15 minutes
Roll dough into 2 ounce balls
Press flat to ½ thick or desired thickness
Heat pupusa in oiled skillet on medium heat - ~ 3-5 minutes each side
Be careful not to burn and turn down heat if necessary
They should finish golden brown and delicious on both sides
Serve on stews or cut open for mini sandwiches
Cooking "En Papillote"
While it may seem intimidating, cooking in paper is actually not that difficult and the payoff is sealed in aroma and flavor that you cannot achieve any other way.
The best product to use is standard parchment paper which comes in 16X21 pieces.
· Fold 16X21 parchment paper lengthwise
· Cut a heart shape in the parchment (as if you were making a valentine for you grade school sweet heart)
· Apply nonstick spray inside the paper before adding ingredients.
· In each pouch, place 3 oz of rice, potato, lentils or beans on greased paper.
· Now place thin slices (about 1 inch thick) of fish (salmon or halibut work beautifully) over rice
· Season with kosher salt & pepper
· Add your favorite herbs & aromatics- rough cut coriander, parsley, garlic, ginger, lemon or lemongrass
· (*Note: You want about 6 oz total filler for each papillote serving)
· Now that you have your filling, fold over the heart shape and seal edges by progressively making small folds one after another, as if you were making a giant origami teardrop (see video segment)
· Place on oiled baking sheet
· Cook at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes or until paper is browned
· ** Wait at least 5 minutes before serving and be cautious when opening the pouch to avoid steam burns.