Boy helps dog escape from fire at Phoenix home

PHOENIX - A 9-year-old boy is being credited with saving his dog from a fire at his Phoenix home.

Firefighters were called to the home near 22nd Avenue and Adams Street on Monday after receiving reports about the blaze.

According to a Phoenix Fire spokesperson, Caleb Barker was at home when he heard what sounded like items falling in the garage. He noticed smoke and “got down on the ground and rolled out the front door.”

"I opened the door and checked what was happening and it was a fire," Barker explained. 

The boy grabbed one of his dogs on the way out and passersby helped the second dog escape the flames, fire officials said.

"I had to close the garage door with all my muscles and then there was smoke in the house so I grabbed my dog and tucked and rolled," he said.

The boy and the dogs are OK.

When fire crews arrived at the scene they were able to stop the fire in the detached garage and attic, a fire spokesperson said.

The case of the fire remains under investigation.

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ