Old Fashioned Date Bars
· 3 cups Medjool dates
· ¼ cups granulated sugar
· 1 ½ cups water
· ¾ cup shortening or butter
· 1 cup brown sugar
· 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
· 1 ½ cups old fashion oats
· 1 tsp salt
· 1 tsp baking soda
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
Combine dates, sugar- and water in med/large sauté pan. Cook at med low heat for 10 min, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool. Puree if desired.
Beat shortening or butter in large bowl with brown sugar. Add flour, baking soda and salt to brown sugar/butter (in small amounts). Mix or cut w/ pastry cutter. Add oats and stir to combine.
Grease 13 x 9 baking dish. Pat ½ of crust along bottom. Spread filling evenly, leaving 1-2 cm space from edge. Take remaining crust and sprinkle over filling until covered. Bake in 400 degree oven 25-30 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Date Bbq Baked Beans
1. 10 Medjool Dates (Cooking or Fancy Grade), pitted
2. 2 cans cooked Pinto beans
3. 1 medium Red Onion
4. 1 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth
5. 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
6. 1/4 cup Blackstrap Molasses
7. 6 oz Tomato Sauce
8. 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
9. 2 cloves Garlic
10. 1 teaspoon Cumin (Ground)
11. 1 teaspoon Mustard Seed (Powder)
12. 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Lightly coat a 9"x9" baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350⁰ F. Chop half of the red onion and place into dish along with beans. Combine the remaining ingredients into a high-speed blender and process until smooth. You may soak the dates for 5-10 minutes in water if you need to soften them up for blending. Process until smooth. Stir the sauce into the beans. Bake for one hour or until the mixture is slightly browned on top and bubbling. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
1. 4 cups Cabbage (shredded)
2. 1 medium Apple (cored nd diced)
3. 1 medium Orange (peeled and cubed)
4. 1 medium Carrot (pared and thinly-sliced)
5. 1 small Green Pepper (chopped)
6. ¾ cup Dates (sliced)
7. ¼ cup Walnuts (chopped)
8. 2/3 cup orange or peach Yogurt
9. ½ cup Chili Sauce
10. 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
11. Salt and Pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Combine remaining ingredients. Blend both mixtures together tossing lightly. Salt and pepper to taste. Makes six servings.
For more information about Sphinx Date Company, call 480-941-2261, or go to www.sphonxdateranch.com