4th of July Glamping
· Gourmet Comfort Food for the Campsite
· Using Cast Iron = best cooking vessel for Glamping (I.e. one-pot-meals / easy reheat)
· Hearty and easy-to-make
· Perfect dishes (below) for "Glamping"
· Great for backyard cook-outs because the dishes stay hot
Campfire Mac and Cheese
· 1 pound macaroni noodles
· 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
· 1/2 stick butter, unsalted
· 4 cups heavy cream plus more as needed if sauce is too thick
· 3/4 pound American Cheese, grated
· ¼ pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
· Kosher salt
1. Heat a large pot of water to a boil. Season generously with kosher salt. Boil the pasta for 8 to 10 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside (toss with EVOO to prevent sticking).
2. Heat the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the heavy cream. Bring the cream to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
3. Add the cheeses and stir in until fully melted. Add the pasta and turn off the heat. Gently fold in the pasta.
Serve immediately or fully cool in the Dutch oven. To reheat, place the Dutch oven near a campfire. The fire heat should feel medium-low. Slowly heat the mac near the fire (30-40 minutes). Stir often. Replace the lid after stirring.
· 1 pound lasagna pasta
· 4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more as needed
· 1 pound Spicy Italian Sausage, ground
· 1 red onion, peeled and minced
· 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeds removed and minced
· 3 Tablespoons garlic, peeled and minced
· 2 large cans crushed tomatoes
· 1 cup heavy cream
· Kosher salt
· Freshly cracked black pepper
· 5 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, low moisture
· 2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season generously with salt. Boil the lasagna pasta for 8 to 10 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside (toss with 1 Tbsp EVOO to prevent sticking).
3. Heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Cook the Italian sausage until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Break apart with a wooden spoon. Add the onion and the bell pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes over medium heat. Get some browning on the vegetables. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir often and scrape the bottom.
4. Add the tomatoes and heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the sauce for 5-minutes over medium heat. Set aside.
5. Lightly grease a large Dutch oven with EVOO. Layer some of the meat sauce on the bottom. Next a layer of noodles. Then the cheese. Repeat this until you end with a layer of Mozzarella and Parm at the top.
6. Bake for 20 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately or cool and bring to the campsite.
7. Reheat slowly near an open flame. You can also reheat on a low flame grill with the lid on.
All recipes by Matthew Jordan, Corporate Executive Chef - National Accounts (Nestlé Professional)