Recipe and Procedure for Salad of Butter Lettuce, Pancetta and Sous Vide Poached Egg with Sherry Vinaigrette
Qty.Eggs large, in shell 4 ea
Pancetta, thinly sliced in rounds 4 slices
Shallot, minced 1 small
Butter lettuce, washed and torn in small pieces, 4 large leaves reserved for plating1 large or two small heads
Baby Tomatoes, Heirloom or Grape1 pint
Baguette, sliced on bias, toasted 4 slices
Dijon mustard 2 t
Sherry Vinegar 1 oz
Extra virgin olive oil 2-3 oz
Kosher salt and pepper To taste
Yield 4 servings
1. Place sous vide in a small stockpot or large saucepan filled at least half way with water. Set sous vide for 147 degrees.
2. When water is at temperature, add eggs, one at a time, using a large spoon. Avoid dropping the eggs or allowing them to bump into each other when placing in the water.
3. Set the timer for one hour.
4. After one hour, remove the eggs from the water. Run under cool water. Eggs may be poached, chilled and stored in the refrigerator up to five days. For recipes requiring warm or hot poached eggs, return poached egg in shell to same heated water and warm for 15 minutes.
5. While the eggs are poaching, heat a small sauté pan over medium heat and cook pancetta slices. Turn once or twice and ensure pancetta is crispy on both sides. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel.
6. To same pan, add minced shallot and cook until aromatic, about 45 seconds. Place in a small mixing bowl.
7. To shallots, add Dijon mustard and sherry vinegar with a pinch a salt. Whisk together then drizzle in the olive oil until emulsified. Adjust seasonings to taste.
8. To plate, place butter lettuce leaf on each plate. Top with torn leaves and drizzle lightly with vinaigrette. Crumble pancetta slice, or leave whole, and portion one slice per salad.
9. Place a few tomatoes on each salad, then baguette slice.
10. Carefully remove poached egg from shell and spoon over salad. Drizzle with additional dressing, as desired, then serve.
Executive Chef, Owner