Flight diverted: Southwest plane makes emergency landing at Sky Harbor over 'possible threat'

PHOENIX - A police search involving a Southwest Airlines flight diverted to Phoenix has ended.

FBI spokesman Manuel Johnson said Monday night that Southwest Airlines flight 2675 had been searched by Phoenix police and FBI bomb technicians and that no explosive device was found.

The FBI said a "telephonic bomb threat" forced the flight headed to Austin, Texas to make an emergency landing in Phoenix Monday afternoon.

VIDEO: Passengers loaded onto bus after Southwest plane makes emergency landing

The plane, carrying 143 passengers, landed safely and all passengers deplaned and were questioned by authorities.

The FBI said the flight "departed LAX at 2:12pm and was diverted to Phoenix for further investigation."

Air15 video showed passengers being removed from the plane and being boarded onto a bus.

Later on, video showed luggage being removed from the plane and lined up on either side of the aircraft.

Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Katie McDonalds said the pilot became aware of a "security concern" and asked to land in Phoenix.

Michael Kucharek of NORAD confirmed to ABC15 that two F-16 fighter jets were dispatched from Tucson to "monitor" the plane from the air and ensure it landed safely.

"When I realized that those were not civilian aircraft, and they're flying overhead, following it into the airport, I knew something was not in the realm of normal," said witness Kenny Gaddis.

Passengers were put on another plane just after 10 p.m. and were expected to arrive in Austin early Tuesday morning.

Sky Harbor spokeswoman Julie Rodriguez said flights continued to arrive and depart, but some flight delays resulted.

Roadway traffic on the west end of the airport was restricted for several hours but the restrictions have now been lifted.

Rodriguez advises anyone with a flight or who is picking up a passenger to check the flight status before heading to the airport.

Johnson said the FBI's investigation is ongoing and efforts are being made to identify the caller who initiated the bomb threat.


Print this article Back to Top