Man in custody after slamming into Baltimore TV station, hours-long barricade

BALTIMORE, MD - A suspect has been taken into custody after reportedly slamming a truck into a Baltimore TV station and prompting a several-hours-long standoff.

Several tweets from our Scripps sister station ABC2News came in Tuesday morning regarding the situation that started around noon Baltimore time.

ABC2News reporter Brian Kuebler reported on Twitter that the "suspect tried to get in the building screaming LET ME IN and said he was God" and "got into a landscaping truck and rammed the building."

See surveillance video of the truck embedded below.

ABC2News Meteorologist Mike Masco told ABC15 the truck rammed the building several times before breaching the facility.

The driver was unaccounted for for several hours after exiting the vehicle.

The suspect, who was believed to be armed, had reportedly gone into the building and made it onto different floors of the station.

After an hour or so into the incident, Masco told ABC15 that he believed the suspect barricaded himself in one of the main control rooms of the building.

Police inside the station spent several hours Tuesday going room-to-room in order to find the suspect.

Officers say they found the suspect around 4:30 p.m. Baltimore time in a room on the second floor of the building. A K9 officer was used to locate the suspect and no officers were injured.

The suspect has been identified as a 29-year-old male. Officials said it does not appear the man had been communicating with anyone else about the incident.

When asked if the man was armed, authorities said he had been initially spotted with a golf club and a large canvas bag.

Officials are continuing to investigate.

Reporting crews were told to stay away from the area Tuesday morning and not come back to the station as police worked the situation. Employees at the station at the time of the incident were also evacuated and kept far away from the scene.

Those at the station at the time of the incident were being kept far away from the scene as tactical teams investigated.

ABC2 says a nearby school was on lockdown during the barricade, and tweeted that there was no known motive for the incident.

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ