Hostages freed in Phoenix barricade situation; 3-year-old Israel Celis found safe

TOLLESON, AZ - Phoenix police say a 32-year-old man sought in the abduction of his son killed himself, ending a 12-hour barricade at a house in which eight other people were held captive for varying lengths of time.

See photos of SWAT teams smashing into the home on

Celis holed up in the home near 91st Avenue and Highland after allegedly abducting his young son from his mother's Tolleson home on Monday night.

SWAT members, police and fire officials surrounded the Phoenix home overnight and into Tuesday morning, spending hours negotiating with Celis Sr.

Tolleson officials canceled the Amber Alert early Tuesday morning after 3-year-old Israel Celis Jr. and a 13-year-old boy were released from the home, said Martos.

During the negotiations, police were able to extract three female victims. As authorities continued negotiations with Celis Sr., around 8 a.m., they heard gunshots coming from inside the home, prompting them to enter with a tactical vehicle.

Air15 video showed SWAT members ramming a large armored-truck into the front of the home, creating two large openings. SWAT members could be seen standing guard around the house, some standing behind shields, and one officer holding a canine.

As crews entered the home, they rescued another male victim who suffered non-life threatening injuries.

According to Martos, Celis Sr. then began opening fire on the officers as he retreated to a back room with a 20-year-old woman and 9-year-old boy.

Police continued negotiations for another two hours, and around 10 a.m. heard the woman scream and a gun go off. Crews entered the room and found Celis Sr. with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Both the woman and 9-year-old boy were found inside the room with minor injuries.

The stand-off situation began Monday evening when Celis broke into an El Mirage motel room, assaulted the boy's mother, tied her up and kidnapped their young son, said Martos.

Authorities said the father and mother were believed to be in the midst of a divorce, which may have led to the kidnapping situation.

Police have not reported any injuries.



Print this article Back to Top