PEORIA, AZ - Peoria firefighters say there's no doubt about it, a smoke detector is the reason a family is alive Wednesday morning.
The family of five was sleeping in their home in a home near 32nd Street and Rio Verde Drive when the first flames started.
An investigation is underway but firefighters believe the fire started in the garage. According to officials, the fire destroyed two cars, much of the family's garage, and did damage to at least 30 percent of the home.
A neighbor called 911 after seeing the flames.
Firefighters say it's critically important to make sure your home has a working smoke detector.
"Once a month go push the button and check to see if it's working. Then make sure you change the batteries at least once a year. Pick a day like Thanksgiving or Christmas and do it every year on that day," said Captain Rob Brewster.
The family is currently staying with relatives.