PEORIA, AZ - After making a frantic 9-1-1 call, 19-year-old Brooklyn Castellanos had to think fast. Her Peoria condominium was on fire and her boyfriend and roommate were all trapped in the bathroom .
"We had to stay low, have towels over our mouths and stuff so we wouldn't have to be breathing in all of the soot and toxins," said Castellanos.
She knew how to protect herself and those dear to her from her father, a Peoria firefighter.
"I always thought it would be great if it saved someone's life someday. Little did i know, it would be my own daughter's life," said her father, Tim.
Both of them spoke to the media today, and Peoria fire officials still can't believe Brooklyn and the two other teenagers who were trapped in a bathroom during a condo fire in June are even alive.
When fire officials arrived on the scene, none of them had a pulse.
"Let me just say that during this event, we had three dead victims when we pulled them out," said Peoria fire chief Bobby Ruiz.
Brooklyn said she called her parents while she was gasping for air. Her mom in the audience, fighting back tears as she told reporters what was said in their conversation.
"I can't breathe. I just want you to know that I love you. And i think I'm gonna die," said Brooklyn.
Her father remembers thinking, it might be the end.
"The chances were so low you know. But all I could do was just pray, you know," said Tim.
But a combination of fire and police departments throughout the Valley saved them: removing them from the bathroom, performing CPR all before sending them to a hospital.
"For some reason this one came together like clockwork," said Peoria Fire captain Billy Morris, who was on the scene of the fire. "Every engine company, every ladder company, every ambulance and the police department, everything clicked."
Brooklyn's dad is happy it did. And now he knows what it feels like to be on the other side.
"I just can't tell you how grateful I am," said Tim.
Peoria Fire is calling the fire accidental. Brooklyn says her boyfriend and roommate are fully recovered and ready to go back to school this Fall.