MCSO: 12-year-old boy made up story about attempted abduction

LITCHFIELD PARK - Authorities are now saying a 12-year-old boy who told deputies that he had been the victim of an attempted abduction Monday morning actually made the entire story up.

Officials with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office confirmed Monday evening that the boy fabricated the entire story.

At a news conference early Monday evening, Sheriff Joe Arpaio explained that the boy made the story up because he was afraid to be home alone.

The Verrado Middle School student initially told authorities that he was approached by a man around 8 a.m. as he was walking to his bus stop near Citrus Road and Missouri Avenue, said Joaquin Enriquez, spokesman for MCSO.

"He grabbed my arm and tried to pull me in the car and the other one stayed in the car and he had like a knife, I think, in his hand and when the guy tried to get me, I pushed him away and ran back home and called my parents," the boy told ABC15 in an on-camera interview.

Authorities canvassed the area and talked with neighbors all day in an attempt to locate the two suspects the boy described to investigators.

Arpaio said investigators looked at surveillance videos from homes in the area and found the boy's report began to look suspicious.

"We did an exhaustive investigation, tied up a lot of resources," Arpaio said.

When asked about whether the boy faces charges in the incident, Arpaio said he could be charged with false reporting, but that his parents could be more important "to straighten this kid out."

Print this article Back to Top

Comments
Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ