PD: Glendale fire displaces family of four after a flame spread from porch to attic

GLENDALE, AZ - Four people are displaced after the porch of their Glendale home caught fire, according to Capt. Tony Mure, a spokesman for the Phoenix Fire Department.

Phoenix and Glendale firefighters responded to a call about a house fire at 11:30 Tuesday morning. They arrived to find that a porch fire had spread to the attic and due to backyard debris and items in the attic, it was difficult to extinguish.

A grandmother and her grandchild were home at the time of the fire but smelled smoke and were both able to get out unharmed. A desert tortoise and two dogs were also removed from the home unharmed.

The family of four is currently being assisted by the Phoenix Fire Department Critical Response Team to find a shelter.

The Phoenix Fire Department warns homeowners that an attic is a place where many fires can start due to the extreme summer heat.

Attics are used as additional storage space during the winter but during the summer the items in them become very hot which can cause them to become damaged and flammable. The weight of the items can also cause the ceiling to collapse, according to Captain Mure.

Phoenix fire recommends cleaning out attics during the winter to prevent fires during the summer.

 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments
Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ