Is too much H2O dangerous?

GLENDALE, AZ - While working under the hot sun as a security guard at the University of Phoenix Stadium late last summer, Julie Wilson found out the hard way that too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

"We are told to drink plenty of water to make sure we don't get dehydrated. That's usually the problem, people will get dehydrated and they get taken to the hospital for that," Wilson said.

It wasn't dehydration that crept in on Julie. While the crowds swelled for a Cardinals game and the temperature rose to well over 100 degrees, she dealt with the heat by drinking water until...

"I told my supervisors that I wasn't feeling well," she said.

Julie was sent home, thinking she had mild heat stress, but once home, things didn't get better.

"My aunt came in to check on me and I had vomited all over the bed, and the floor, didn't know who she was, didn't recognize my uncle," Wilson said.

Her aunt called paramedics, who rushed her to the hospital. After five days in the hospital, she was diagnosed with "Metabolic Encypilothomy Hyponutrimia."

Doctors tell her excessive water washed the salts and electrolytes from her body, creating water toxicity.

Today, Julie still has memory issues from the ordeal and warns others to take it easy ... even with something as seemingly safe as water.

"Don't just think I've had too much sun. It could be more than that," she said.
 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments