GLENDALE, AZ - Glendale fire investigators have determined that a child playing with a lighter sparked an apartment fire on Tuesday morning.
Around 8:15 a.m. on Oct. 8, fire crews responding to a reported apartment fire at 59th Avenue and Bethany Home Road were able to make entry and quickly put out the fire, according to a report from the Glendale Fire Department.
The occupants of the apartment, two adults and two children under the age of 6, were reportedly uninjured and out of the apartment by the time fire personnel arrived.
According to the report, one of the children was playing with a lighter that started the fire.
While the Glendale Fire Department always urges parents to teach their children that fire is not a toy, the department also offers a free program to help prevent future fires caused by children ages 3-17.
Their Youth Firesetter Intervention Program is a customized intervention program to detect children at risk for participating in unsupervised firesetting incidents and educate them in order to stop this behavior.
The program, managed by Dr. Janet A. Boberg, is recognized by the U.S. Fire Administrations as one of the top programs in the nation.