FD: Dog a hero for saving owner from fire started by candle

GLENDALE, AZ - A dog is being called a hero for saving a store owner who was asleep in the back of a Glendale shop after a fire had started.

According to the Glendale Fire Department, the early Tuesday morning fire appears to have started with an unattended candle.

“If he couldn't get me up, he was going to die with me,” she said.

An official says the owner of Abra Formal Wear, Karen Mariluch, was asleep in the back room of the business and was awoken by her dog frantically nudging her.

“He started scratching [me], and moving [my face] with his nose,” Mariluch said.

When she woke up, Mariluch smelled the smoke that had filled most of the facility that she also uses as a residence.

Mariluch was able to get herself and the white Pomeranian named King out through the back door and safely into the backyard.

Mariluch told ABC15 she'd put the candle out, but the wax re-ignited.

She said she'd taken half a sleeping pill before going to bed and would be dead if it weren't for the dog waking her up.

Mariluch said she's staying in a guest house at the back of the property for now.

The Glendale Fire Department issued a reminder to use extra care when using candles.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments
Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ