Avondale FD: Several students, 1 adult burned during experiment at La Joya Community High School

AVONDALE, AZ - Several high school students were burned at a Valley high school Tuesday when a science experiment went wrong.

The Avondale Fire Department said four teens and an adult were injured Tuesday afternoon at La Joya Community High School, located near Lower Buckeye Road and Avondale Blvd.

Ron Deadman, spokesman for the Avondale Fire Department, said two students, a senior and a sophomore, were transported to Maricopa Medical Center with facial burns. A third student, also a senior, was taken to Banner Estrella Medical Center by her parents.

Fire officials say a fourth student and a 29-year-old woman also suffered minor burns but were treated at the scene and released.

The district's superintendent said the students were working on an experiment involving stronthium chloride, copper chloride and table salt, which when ignited creates different colored flames.

The school district reported three students were injured. We're checking to see just how the incident happened, and exactly how many people were hurt overall.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments