Tempe man facing charges after 'sweat lodge' found inside his home

TEMPE, AZ - A Tempe man could face charges, after an apparent sweat lodge was found inside his apartment.

Fire crews said they made the discovery while responding to a call near McClintock Drive and Apache Boulevard Tuesday.

Neighbors said they've been smelling smoke for days but didn't know what it was from. 

On Tuesday they saw smoke coming from the man's apartment and knocked on his door to try and get him to come outside.

"He told my neighbor he would be fine," said neighbor Katie Rogers.

When firefighters arrived, the man refused to come out.

Fire crews believe the fire was started as part of a religious ceremony. They said the carbon monoxide levels were so high inside the apartment, the man could have died.

 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments