First-alarm fire breaks out at Mesa home

MESA, AZ - Several fire agencies fought a first-alarm house fire early Wednesday morning in Mesa.

The fire broke out just after 5 a.m. at Guadalupe and Price roads.

According to Forrest Smith with Mesa fire, there was one person inside the home who was asleep at the time of the fire. A smoke detector woke him up and he was able to escape out a window in his bedroom. He was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Smith said there was a lot of debris and items in the home from previous renters.  

Officials bumped the blaze to a first-alarm fire because of the heavy debris and the potential to spread to surrounding homes, smith said.

Families in nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution.

Mesa, Chandler, and Tempe Fire Departments all responded to the fire.

A discarded cigarette or cigar is suspected to be the cause of the blaze.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments