MESA, AZ - Mesa High School was evacuated Thursday after an unknown substance was released in the hallway of the school.
Fire department spokesman Forrest Smith said around 2:45 p.m. firefighters were called to the school to investigate an unknown odor. As a precaution, school officials evacuated students from the main campus' building.
Firefighters believe pepper spray was released in one of the hallways on the first floor.
Smith said students that were affected by the fumes are not complaining of their symptoms anymore.
Students were released to go home. Smith said no students or faculty required hospitalization.
The Mesa HazMat team is working to verify what the substance was.