FD: Mesa mom, 3-year-old son burned by grease

MESA, AZ - Mesa fire officials say a mother and her 3-year-old son were burned by hot grease Tuesday in their kitchen.

Mesa fire spokesman Forrest Smith said they suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns around 12:30 p.m. near Gilbert and Broadway roads.

Smith said the mother noticed a small fire starting in a pot of grease on top of her stove.

When she took the pot off the stove to take it outside to pour it out, she tripped on her 3-year-old son, Smith said.

The hot grease, which was not on fire at the time, splashed on both of them, Smith said.

They were transported to Maricopa County Burn Center.

Smith said fire crews would like to remind residents to take precaution when cooking with the following tips:

--Keep a lid nearby when cooking to smother small grease fires.

--If safe to do so, smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stove.

--Leave the pan covered until it's completely cooled.

--Consider getting a fire extinguisher if you don't already have one.

--Always be sure your smoke detectors are in good, working condition.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments