Fire destroys Mesa home, kittens die

MESA, AZ - Authorities say no one was home when a fire broke out and destroyed a residence in Mesa Saturday afternoon.

The Mesa Fire Department said neighbors called 911 about smoke coming from a shed behind the house near Stapley and University drives.

When crews arrived the shed was fully involved and fire had spread to the garage and attic.

Firefighters moved into defensive mode, fighting the fire from outside the home only, due to downed power lines.

Officials say the homeowner was not home.

A neighbor told ABC15 they had to be evacuated from their home for fear the flames would spread. They also said an adult cat was saved but that seven kittens died in the fire. Another adult cat was at the veterinarian's.

There were no injuries to firefighters.

Officials say the home is a total loss.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments