FD: 2 hurt, Mesa home destroyed in fire

MESA, AZ - A husband and wife were hospitalized after their Mesa home caught fire Wednesday night.

Mesa fire Capt. Forrest Smith said crews from Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler and Tempe responded to the fire that broke out just before midnight near Alma School Road and Southern Avenue.

Smith said a couple in their mid- to late 70s live in the home with their adult son who is helping care for them.

The older man was reportedly grinding down a metal screw in a shop area where gun powder was stored.

Smith said the gunpowder flashed and started the fire very quickly in the room where the man was working.

He received burns to his neck and spot burns on his body, Smith said. The man was taken to Maricopa Medical Center where he is in stable condition.

Smith said the woman was also taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and lacerations and is also in stable condition.

The son was able to get his parents out of the home before firefighters arrived on scene. Smith said he was treated on scene and was not taken to the hospital.

Smith said the home is a total loss with damage at approximately $180,000.

Crews were able to stop the fire within 20 minutes and keep the flames from spreading to other homes, according to Smith.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments