Gilbert gas explosion update: Burn victim Jason Nelson back in ICU after beating the odds

GILBERT, AZ - A man who survived a massive natural gas explosion at this home in Gilbert, is back in the ICU, after he was almost discharged from the hospital.

Back in February, Jason Nelson lit a cigarette in his garage that sparked an explosion.

Investigators say a cracked pipe caused a natural gas leak.

Around 80 percent of Nelson’s body was burned. He was put into induced coma and the ICU for weeks. So far he has gone through 21 surgeries.

However, Nelson made a faster recovery than doctors expected.

He was set to go home this week until something went wrong during a procedure.

Doctors had to put back into coma and back into the ICU.

His girlfriend of three years, Tammy Yohe says it’s devastating seeing him in the same exact condition he was four months ago.

Nelson has a 13-year-old son.

”I expected future surgeries but never back in ICU in the condition that he was in,” said Yohe. “I mean, just days ago he was jogging around the facility and kicking a soccer ball down the hall with his son.”

So far, Yohe says medical bills have topped off more than a million dollars.

This weekend, there's a benefit car show in Gilbert, featuring Mustangs.

It was one of Jason's favorite hobbies. 

Here's the location if you would like to help out:

Gilbert Town Center

90 East Civic Center Drive

Gilbert, AZ 85296

$25 per car

Checks payable to: Jason Nelson Benefit Car Show

Print this article Back to Top

Comments
Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ