CHANDLER, AZ - Dozens of employees were treated after a chemical leak occurred at the Intel campus in Chandler Saturday morning.
Tom Dwigging of the Chandler Fire Department said multiple people were treated after there was a nitrogen gas leak in Fab 32 at the Intel campus near Dobson and Queen Creek roads in Chandler, Ariz.
Jason Bagley, spokesman for Intel, said the isolated leak happened in a utility space that managed gasses and exhaust systems. The leak was the gaseous byproduct of exhaust material used in manufacturing tools. He said those exposed were contractors servicing the area.
He also said the security system is high-tech and worked properly in containing the chemicals being leaked. The area will continue to be evacuated and isolated until the problem is fixed.
Bagley said 43 patients were involved, while 12 people were transported.
Officials said more people continue to come forward with symptoms.
Dwiggins confirmed that the gas leak had been secured as of 8:15 a.m. and that there was no danger to the surrounding community.