CHANDLER, AZ - A Chandler man said he found a metal bolt inside a container of Jif peanut butter.
“At the time, I thought it was like a large peanut,” said Michael Fisher.
He then realized it was not.
What concerns Fisher the most is that his nephew, with whom he often shares the peanut butter, could have eaten the bolt.
“My nephew's three years old, he could have easily swallowed that bolt [and it] could have caused some serious injury," Fisher said.
Fisher sent the bolt and the peanut butter to the J.M. Smucker Company, Jif’s parent company, he said.
He showed ABC15 a letter on Smucker stationary which reads, in part, “The bolt sent to us for review appears similar in size, shape, and color to bolts found on certain machinery at the production facility. However, we have no record of similar bolts missing from the relevant machinery.”
The letter goes on to say, “As a result, Smucker cannot conclusively state whether or not the bolt entered the product within the production facility.”
ABC 15 emailed and left a message with Smucker regarding the situation, and has not heard back.