APACHE JUNCTION, AZ - A HAZMAT situation at an Apache Junction recycling business forced residents to leave their homes Thursday afternoon.
Apache Junction Fire Department spokesman Dave Montgomery said fire and HAZMAT crews were successful in stopping a compressed gas cylinder from leaking at the business near Tomahawk Road and Old West Highway.
Montgomery said workers at the business broke the cylinder sending a large amount of hydrogen sulfide, an extremely flammable and toxic gas, into the air.
Nearby businesses and residences were evacuated until crews were able to stop the leak.
Crews were able to get a seal kit onto the cylinder to slow the leak down and eventually were able to stop the leak completely.
Montgomery said residents were able to return to their homes around 5 p.m.
Authorities said no injuries were reported.