Five taken to hospital after suspected overdose at west Phoenix bar

PHOENIX - Five people were taken to the hospital after a suspected overdose at a bar in west Phoenix Saturday morning, according to the Phoenix Fire Department 

Just before 1 a.m. paramedics were called to The Nugget bar near 83rd Avenue and Indian School Road after five people passed out inside the bar.

Witnesses told police that the five used an unknown substance and became unresponsive. 

As crews arrived on scene they found patients in "various degrees of altered mental status" as bystanders were performing CPR on one person. 

Fire officials say the patients varied from 25 to 47 years old and included both men and women.

A few patients told first responders they thought they were snorting cocaine but did not actually know what the substance was.

Phoenix police say the five were taken to hospitals in serious condition. 

The person who was receiving CPR was conscious when they arrived at the hospital, according to fire officials. 

A total of 30 firefighters responded to the incident. 

Police said the incident remains under investigation.

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ