Phoenix woman says lightning strike caused house fire

PHOENIX - A Phoenix mother says she lost all of her belongings Thursday morning after a lightning strike caused her roof to catch fire.

Fire crews were called out to the area of 99th Avenue and Lower Buckeye Road around 5:30 a.m., according to Phoenix fire spokesman Larry Nunez.

Santreesa Taylor said she heard loud thunder and then a flash of light.

She didn't see anything else at the time, so she thought nothing was wrong. But then a bit later, she could smell smoke.

"I came out and the whole top was in flames," Taylor said.

Taylor said she quickly ran inside, grabbed her children and dog, and got them all out safely.

"That's the most important, so I'm glad God gave me the strength to get them out...but everything inside is ruined," she said in tears.

The ceiling came down in some rooms, which caused major damage along with water and debris.

"I worked so hard by myself as a single mother of four, and everything in here is ruined," Taylor said. "I work so hard everyday to take care of them the best way I can, and they don't deserve this."

Taylor said her 14-year-old girl, 8-year-old boy and 4-year-old twin girls are in shock.

She said she doesn't have renter's insurance, so she doesn't yet know where to go from here.

Since this story first aired, ABC15 received an overwhelming number of phone calls and emails from viewers wanting to help the Taylor family.

"Even the smallest thing like a bed or a chair to sit on helps us. We lost everything and we are so grateful to all the people offering to help us," said Taylor.

If you are interested in helping the family, you can donate online at YouCaring.com.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments