PHOENIX - A firefighter was injured while working to put out a fire at a South Phoenix apartment early Sunday afternoon.
Phoenix fire Capt. Larry Nunez said witnesses saw smoke coming from the detached apartment near Central Avenue and Baseline Road around 1:30 p.m. and banged on the door to get a grandmother and several children out.
All got out safely, but a firefighter was shocked when power lines fell on the metal roof of the house.
Nunez said the firefighter is expected to be OK.
The grandmother and four grandchildren are staying with family.
Nunez said the fire burned at the rear of the apartment near the bathroom area.
He said investigators were looking into the possibility that the fire started near the water heater.