PHOENIX - Expect freezing cold temperatures over the weekend. Some parts of Arizona will see temperatures as low as the 20s in the overnight hours. Experts say you want to pay extra attention to your pets, plants, and pipes.
- Cover plants with a frost blanket or layers of sheets. One bed sheet might not be enough depending on how cold it gets and for how long, said Jim Berridge with Moon Valley Nursery. Frost blankets may provide a few extra degrees of protection but can cost you $15 or more.
- Pick citrus fruit to prevent damage.
- State Farm advises that you let warm water drip from an outside faucet. This may help prevent pipes from freezing.
- State Farm also advises that you open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
- The Arizona Humane Society reminds us to bring our pets indoors.