Police: Light rail service disrupted after officer-involved shooting in Phoenix

PHOENIX - Authorities say a man is in critical condition after being shot by a Phoenix police officer Tuesday afternoon.

Sgt. Trent Crump of Phoenix Police said the shooting happened near 19th and Missouri avenues around 4 p.m.

Crump said authorities received multiple 911 phone calls regarding a half-naked man acting bizarre in the area, including mumbling and chanting, as well as reportedly destroying property.

He said some callers reported that the man was threatening individuals verbally with a screwdriver and a saw.

Ramona Villarreal was one of the first to call for help after she says the suspect started terrorizing her office, beating his chest, throwing signage around and stripping down to his underwear.

"He threw our sign down the corridor then came back to attack me," says Villarreal.

She says she told her clients to hide because he threatened to hurt himself then others.

Police say he got his hands on syringes, a medical saw and other sharp objects from around the building.

Through tears Villarreal says she feared for her life.

"I have no doubt if he had been armed with more than a screwdriver, I wouldn't be here."

Crump said officers approached the suspect as he was crossing 19th avenue. Officers confronted him and used their stun guns, but say the man still wanted to fight. Crump said at some point the suspect charged at an officer who then discharged his weapon.

No officers were injured in the shooting, he said.

The suspect reportedly had surgery at a local hospital and is listed in serious condition, according to Crump.

The intersection of 19th and Missouri avenues was shut down for several hours during the investigation.

Melissa Quillard, spokesman for Valley Metro, said rail service was suspended in both directions until around 8:15 p.m.

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ