PHOENIX - Two people have been transported to a hospital after a Phoenix home caught fire Sunday, according to fire officials.
The fire broke out near 43rd and Peoria avenues Sunday afternoon and spread to a nearby home, according to Phoenix Fire.
Two of three people inside the home were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
A witness told ABC15 he was driving home from Walmart when he saw the back of the home in flames.
William Pranke said he drove into the neighborhood and checked that neighbors were calling 911. He then went to the front door and started banging on the door to see if anyone was home.
He said eventually someone came to the door and he was able to get three people out of the home, including a young man and his mother.
Pranke said when he first saw inside the home it was dark and the smoke alarms were going off. Apparently the people inside were all sleeping.
He said the flames were in the back of the house initially, but then broke through the windows into the house.
Pranke said the young man kept running back into the house to save the family's dogs. He said one dog made it out OK but the other was found dead under a bed. Pranke said he had to go in three times to get the young man to get out of the house.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Ruben Saavedra said the young man and his mother were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. In addition, he said the man suffered cuts to his legs.
Saavedra called Pranke a hero, but Pranke disagrees.
"Do I feel like a hero? No I don't," Pranke said. "I just, if somebody needs help I'm there to help them. I hope people would do that all the time."