Poisoned puppy recovers, has a new home

PHOENIX - A puppy that almost died one month ago from poisoning was adopted on Thursday.

Reeces, a 16-week-old brindle Labrador mix, accidentally ingested rat poison in July, according to the Arizona Humane Society. Emergency Animal Medical Technicians rescued and took Reeces to the Second Chance Animal Hospital for treatment.

The dog had been bleeding for hours and needed a blood transfusion equal to about half of his blood supply, the Humane Society said. Reeces became stable after a few days and was then taken to a foster home, spending the next few weeks getting regular check-ups to make sure blood levels were normal.

The energetic puppy became available for adoption Thursday morning at the Arizona Humane Society’s Sunnyslope Campus.

A handful of people showed up to adopt Reeces, so the AHS staff held a raffle for him.

He was adopted by Danielle who has two other rescue dogs.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments
Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ