Phoenix police chase: Suspect in custody after leading police on Valleywide pursuit

PHOENIX - Christian Barron, 18, of Phoenix, is in custody after leading Phoenix police on a Valleywide pursuit Thursday afternoon.

See photos from the pursuit

His mother, Maria Enriquez, talked to ABC15 from her apartment on Thursday night.

"I didn't want anything to happen to him," she said in Spanish. "I just moved in a week ago to help him."

Enriquez said she watched police arrest her son right in front of their apartment.

"I prayed to Santa Muerte and God to protect him," she said. "I'm glad no one got hurt."

She said her son was involved in a serious car accident three years ago and was in a coma for two weeks.

"Since the accident, he hasn't been the same," Enriquez said.

Police made initial contact with Barron near 16th Street and Van Buren, after an officer attempted to pull him over for driving a stolen vehicle. Barron failed to stop and fled from the officer prompting the chase.

Air15 video around 1:50 p.m. showed the suspect exit State Route 202 and drive through an East Valley mobile home park before driving onto State Route 87.

Barron was then seen driving from SR-87 onto State Route 101, toward westbound US 60, and continuing onto Interstate 10 back toward downtown Phoenix.

Air15 footage showed Barron stopping the minivan near 1st Street and Tonto where he surrendered to police. He was taken into custody apparently without incident.

According to Phoenix police, Barron is being booked on theft of means of transportation (stolen vehicle), possession of drug paraphernalia, unlawful flight, and an outstanding warrant. 

Police drove the van away from the scene immediately, and took it their crime lab. According to police, they had no reason to keep the van at the location where the pursuit ended and wanted to avoid a confrontation with the suspect's friends and family members.

"Three days ago we were talking," Enriquez told ABC15. "I asked him to change and he said he would."

Phoenix police said a woman was inside the vehicle with Barron, but she was eventually dropped off at 3rd Avenue and Tonto. Phoenix police are currently saying she will not be booked. 

Print this article Back to Top