Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos talked with ABC15's Christopher Sign Saturday morning about the latest in the investigation after two Valley priests were brutally attacked earlier this week.
Sgt. Martos told ABC15 that police are taking this investigation very seriously and are treating the investigation like they would if another officer had been killed.
Because of the "alarming" and "appaling" nature of the crime, Sgt. Martos says they are making the investigation a priority, hoping to make an arrest soon.
Police are expected to continue looking for further evidence, going door-to-door and using canine officers to help the investigation as needed.
Evidence collected at the scene and in the vehicle found is currently being processed and officers are "comfortable" with what evidence they have. It should take at least a few days to process the evidence, Sgt. Martos says.
Police expect that the evidence, once processed, will be very helpful in connecting them to a suspect or suspects.
So far police do not have a motive for the attack, saying that their minds are open to all possibilities and that it's too early to tell whether the attack was planned or aimed directly toward the two priests involved.
The only suspect description available is that of a white male, around 40 to 50 years old.
Sgt. Martos is urging the community to come forward with any detail they have that may be helpful in the investigation. Sometimes, Martos says, the most seemingly unimportant or unrelated tip can help solve a case.