The PHX Sky Train will open to the public on Monday. Take a look at 10 fast facts about the newest transportation system in the Valley:
1. It will take 3 minutes to travel from the 44th Street station to East Economy Parking and another 2 minutes to Terminal 4.
2. Trains will run continuously in both directions 24/7 and arrive as frequently as every 3 minutes at an average speed of 23 mph, but up to 38 mph.
3. Early bag check and boarding passes will be available at the 44th Street and East Economy stations from participating airlines.
4. The total estimated project cost of $1.58 Billion is paid for with airport revenues and passenger fees (no local tax dollars).
5. About 2.5 million passengers are expected to ride the train the first year (7,000/day).
6. 18 train cars will be assembled into 2 or 3-car trains. Each car holds 53 passengers and the system will have the capacity to carry 2,000 people per hour, per direction.
7. The driverless train will run on an electrically powered, center-rail guideway and facilities will be LEED certified.
8. The 44th Street, T-3, and T-4 stations will be air conditioned. The East Economy station is outdoors, with shade and fans to cool passengers during their short wait.
9. Stage 1a will open in early 2015, continuing from Terminal 4 to Terminal 3 for 0.7 miles, with a short walkway to terminal 2. In the future, Stage 2 will extend an additional 2.5 miles to the Rental Car Center.
10. Stages 1 and 1a construction account for 8,000 jobs.