PHOENIX - A firefighter is recovering after a massive fire that broke out at a Phoenix recycling plant, sending thick plumes of smoke into the air on Tuesday.
Phoenix Fire Department spokesman Tony Mure said an initial call came out Tuesday morning for flames at the Arizona Pacific Pulp Paper company at Grand Avenue and McDowell.
According to Mure, there was believed to be a large amount of cardboard and other materials inside the building which fueled the flames.
Video from the scene showed crews extinguishing the blaze as thick black smoke poured over the Phoenix skyline. As of around 12:30 p.m. Air15 footage from over the area showed the flames under control.
A firefighter was taken to the hospital after suffering minor injuries from a piece of equipment that fell.
Officials told ABC15 crews at the scene that the fire started in a paper bundle outside the building. It is unclear at this time what sparked the flames.